Top Chief Operating Officers
#1 COO - Sheryl Sandberg, Facebook
Sheryl Sandberg has been COO of Facebook since 2008 when she left Google. Since joining Facebook Mrs. Sandberg has been instrumental in driving profitability from online advertising. As COO at Facebook she oversees the company's marketing, sales, business development, public policy, human resources and communications divisions. In 2012 she became the first female member of Facebook's board of directors.
In addition to Facebook's board of directors, Sandberg also sits on the boards of the Walt Disney Company, The Center for Global Development, Women for Women International and V-Day. Previously she has sat on the boards of Starbucks, the Brookings Institution and the Ad Council. In 2013 she also co-authored the successful book Lean In: Women, Work and the Will to Lead which has sold more than 1 million copies to date.
ExecRank produces c-suite executive rankings based on statistical and algorithmic analysis of executive performance across 24 key areas.
Our proprietary methods for evaluating and ranking executives play a key role in the operation of ExecRank’s global marketplace that connects companies with advisors across 124 industries and 50+ professions. We use our data sets and understanding of executive talent from the rankings to guide our matchmaking process between companies and advisors, ensuring that companies find the advisor best suited for their current challenges and opportunities.
A sample of the 24 categories that we measure:
- Experience in the role
- Business results during tenure
- Board Member Appointments
- Significant professional achievements
- Published thought leadership (books, speeches, articles, media mentions)
- Technology adoption
- Industry/professional reputation
- Peer recommendations and nominations
Top COOs of 2014
I very much appreciate ExecRank’s recognition of our work at Thomson Reuters to strengthen the underpinnings of our marketing activities with data-driven intelligence. I am privileged to work with an exceptional executive team and a marketing organization focused on driving our business to continued success across the globe.Tobias Lee, CMO, Thomson Reuters Tax & Accounting
I am grateful for the recognition by ExecRank but realize that it is actually an acknowledgement of the stellar work done by the finance staff at AutoNation, the tremendous leadership provided by Mike Jackson, and the dedication of the thousands of AutoNation associates who deliver world-class customer experiences everyday at our stores.Michael Short, CFO, AutoNation
1. Sheryl Sandberg, Facebook
2. Johan Deblaere, Accenture
3. Gisel Ruiz, Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
4. Marc Schorr, Wynn Resorts, Limited
5. Karl McDonnell, Strayer Education Inc.
6. Timothy Fenton, McDonald's Corporation
7. Franck Moison, Colgate-Palmolive Company
8. Bruce Freyman, Skyworks Technologies Inc.
9. Konrad Hahnelt, Magellan Aerospace Corporation
10. John Milligan, Gilead Sciences, Inc.
11. Derek Dillon, Badger Daylighting Inc.
12. Sridhar Thiruvengadam, Cognizant Technology Solutions Corporation
13. Robert Hermany, Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.
14. Brian Hannasch, Alimentation Couche-Tard
15. Tom Skudutis, Magna International Inc.
16. Larry Davied, Magellan Midstream Partners, LP
17. Jeff Williams, Apple Inc.
18. Jan Valcke, VASCO Data Security International, Inc.
19. Mike Flammia, Canada Bread Company, Ltd
20. Hanley Wheeler, CVS Caremark Corporation
21. Bennett Morgan, Polaris Industries Inc.
22. Patrick Olney, TRW Automotive Holdings Corporation
23. Sandor Nagy, The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
24. Steven Smith, Manhattan Associates
25. John Morikis, The Sherwin-Williams Company
26. James Raley, Dorchester Minerals, LP
27. Michael Feldser, Ball Corporation
28. Paul Redmond, Edwards Lifesciences LLC
29. Tony Kingsley, Biogen Idec Inc.
30. Thomas Wynne, Alliance Resource Partners, LP
31. Jon Hunter, Open Text Corporation
32. Keith Creel, Canadian Pacific
33. Simon Bell, US Ecology Inc.
34. Hugh Gagnier, Zebra Technologies Corporation
35. Michael Leven, Las Vegas Sands Corp.
36. Daniel Meyaard, Idexx Laboratories, Inc.
37. James Bowling, Apollo Group, Inc.
38. Siegfried Kiefer, Atco Ltd.
39. Lisa Gillingham, priceline.com Incorporated
40. Steven Ritchie, Papa John's International, Inc.
41. Troy Alstead, Starbucks Corporation
42. Blake Grams, The Toro Company
43. James Madro, Inter Pipeline Fund
44. Jim Vena, Canadian National Railway Company
45. Simon Hemus, Tupperware Brands Corporation
46. Edward Monser, Emerson Electric Co.
47. Wesley Christensen, Oneok, Inc.
48. Dino Dello Sbarba, Saputo Inc.
49. Terry Johnston, Lennox International Inc.
50. Brian West, Arbitron Inc.( Acquired by Nielsen Audio)
51. William Hannabach, Hittite Microwave Corporation
52. Paul Gentzkow, Robert Half International
53. Rakesh Khanna, Syntel, Inc.
54. Perry Karsen, Celgene Corporation
55. Michele Buck, The Hershey Company
56. John Watson, Bell Canada Enterprises
57. Marion McCourt, AstraZeneca PLC
58. Michael Kearney, Asbury Automotive Group, Inc.
59. Bill Pieroni, Marsh & McLennan Companies, Inc.
60. Adam Derechin, Cohen & Steers Capital Management, Inc.
61. Marty Thomas, Rockwell Automation, Inc.
62. Mark Stevenson, Life Technologies Corporation (Thermo Fisher Scientific)
63. Timothy Toppen, Airboss of America Coporation
64. Chris Fowler, Canadian Western Bank Group
65. Rankings Update
66. Gary Philbin, Dollar Tree, Inc.
67. Jean Gattuso, Lassonde Industries Inc.
68. Robert Dunlop, Fisher Communications, Inc. (acquired by Sinclair Broadcast Group)
69. Edward Eames, F5 Networks Inc.
70. Paul Flynn, Gentex Corporation
71. Michael Strohm, Waddell & Reed Financial, Inc.
72. Richard Sokolov, Simon Property Group, Inc.
73. Tim Twitty, Sun Hydraulics Corporation
74. Michael O'Sullivan, Ross Stores, Inc.
75. Joseph Beacom, Landstar Systems, Inc.
76. Normand Messier, The Jean Coutu Group (PJC) Inc.
77. John Reid, Russel Metals Inc.
78. Meg McCarthy, Aetna Inc.
79. Tim McKay, Canadian Natural Resources Limited
80. Bruce King, Rockwell Collins, Inc.
81. Madhavan Balachandran, Amgen Inc.
82. Giovanni Caforio, Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
83. Roger Jeffs, United Therapeutics Corporation
84. George Hu, Salesforce
85. Patrick Joda, Varian Medical Systems, Inc.
86. Howard Elias, EMC Corporation
87. Craig Harper, J.B. Hunt Transport Services, Inc.
88. Peter Oosterveer, Fluor Corporation
89. Glenn McDowell, U.S. Physical Therapy, Inc.
90. Daniel Soland, ViroPharma Incorporated
91. Bruce Thorn, PetSmart, Inc.
92. John Gethin, Standard Motor Products, Inc.
93. Jennifer Johnson, Franklin Templeton Investments
94. Derek Aberle, QUALCOMM Incorporated
95. Michael Adams, Rogers Cable Communications
96. Barry Sullivan, Family Dollar Stores, Inc.
97. Marv Adams, TDAmeritrade, Inc.
98. Richard Stair, Zimmer Holdings, Inc.
99. Michael Sylvester, Stella-Jones Inc.
100. Colin Morales, Intuitive Surgical, Inc.
101. Martin DeGhetto, TeleTech Holdings, Inc.
102. Thomas Lance, The Boston Beer Company
103. Thomas Chew, Hingham Institution for Savings
104. Ronald Nersesian, Keysight Technologies
105. Donna Kinnaird, Reinsurance Group of America, Incorporated
106. John Giuliani, ValueClick, Inc.
107. Andy Bodea, Equifax Inc.
108. Michael Nill, Cerner Corporation
109. Christopher Cragg, Oil States International, Inc.
110. Doug Lance, Lincoln Electric Holdings, Inc.
111. Gregory Sandfort, Tractor Supply Company
112. David Heinzmann, Littelfuse, Inc.
113. Lonny Carpenter, Stryker Corporation
114. Roger Riffey, CARBO Ceramics
115. James Fernandez, Tiffany & Co.
116. David Willmott, Blount International, Inc.
117. Howard Dubinett, Bio-Reference Laboratories, Inc.
118. Adam Greenlee, Silgan Holdings Inc.
119. Bill Shaner, Entegris, Inc.
120. Mark Conish, Church & Dwight Co., Inc.
121. Jim Motley, First Cash Financial Services, Inc.
122. Dawn Becker, Federal Realty Investment Trust
123. Cory Jansen, Fastenal Company
124. Dennis Jones, Total System Services, Inc. (TSYS)
125. Douglas Jones, MSC Industrial Direct Co., Inc.
126. Joseph Calabro, MEDNAX, Inc.
127. Louis Calvarin, Innophos Holdings Inc.
128. John Stroup, Belden Inc.
129. David Harvey, CVB Financial Corporation
130. Shawn Weidmann, Public Storage, Inc.
131. Michael Stone, RLI Corporation
132. Tim Wentworth, Express Scripts Holding Company
133. Jim Conzen, Hexcel Corporation
134. Richard Kogler, Stericycle, Inc.
135. Darren Hardy, Canadian Oil Sands Limited
136. Julian Whitehurst, National Retail Properties, Inc.
137. Craig Gilpin, The North West Company
138. Jordan Gates, Expeditors International of Washington, Inc.
139. Pavan Bagai, ExlService Holdings, Inc.
140. Francis Leto, Bryn Mawr Trust
141. Howard Frank, Carnival PLC
142. Jeffrey Richardson, LSI Corporation
143. Kimberly Greene, Southern Company
144. Julia Gouw, East West Bancorp, Inc.
145. Greg Silvers, Entertainment Properties Trust
146. Tom Medvedic, Calfrac Well Services Ltd.
147. Frederic Waks, RioCan Real Estate Investment Trust
148. Michael Landy, Monmouth Real Estate Investment Corporation
149. John White, Fossil Inc.
150. Jim Pound, Algoma Central Corporation
151. William Burke, Jr., HCC Insurance Holdings Inc.
152. Kathleen Tierney, Chubb Group of Insurance Companies
153. Robert Bennett, Emera Inc.
154. Peter Gibbons, Mattel, Inc.
155. Chuck Magro, Agrium Inc.
156. Robert Rauscher, Commerce Bancshares, Inc.
157. Wayne O'Connor, Novia Scotia Power (an Emera Company)
158. Sharon Crofts, Bank of Hawaii Corporation
159. Jim Brown, USANA Health Sciences, Inc.
160. Richard Ramsey, Baytex Energy Corp.
161. Michael Falcon, Netgear Inc.
162. Glen McIntosh, Celestica Inc.
163. David Lamp, HollyFrontier Corporation
164. Paul Amos II, Aflac Inc.
165. Scott Crutchfield, Crocs, Inc.
166. David Downing, Lindsay Corporation
167. Christopher Conlon, Acadia Realty Trust
168. Christopher Franklin, Aqua America, Inc.
169. Gregg Sengstack, Franklin Electric Co., Inc.
170. Hector Puente, El Paso Electric Company
171. Gary Malino, Realty Income Corporation
172. Mark Cunningham, Holly Energy Partners LP
173. Charles Chapman III, Panera Bread Company
174. Kevin Freeland, Federal Mogul Corporation
175. William Hata, Altera Corporation
176. Robert Wann, New York Community Bank
177. Erez Simha, Stratasys, Inc.
178. Robert Steane, Cameco Corporation
179. Awadhesh Sinha, Steve Madden, Ltd.
180. Lawrence Baldini, Meridian Bioscience Inc.
181. Maria Grasso, Flushing Bank
182. Dennis Hansen, Westamerica Bancorporation
183. Richard Lampron, Mediagrif Interactive Technologies, Inc.
184. Roderick Larson, Oceaneering International, Inc.
185. Peter Greene, Camden National Corporation
186. Alice Frazier, Cardinal Financial Corporation
187. Lawrence Ricketts, Jr., One Liberty Properties, Inc.
188. Richard Kick, First National Bank of Long Island
189. Linda Downs, Brown & Brown, Inc.
190. Hank Spence, Bonavista Energy Trust
191. Bryan Durkin, CME Group Inc.
192. Robert Fenza, Liberty Property Trust
193. Morris Fine, Investors Title Company
194. Robert Perez, Cubist Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
195. Peter Lockhard, Points.com
196. Thomas Edwards, Horizon Bank
197. Peter Crocitto, Valley National Bank
198. Harold Rodriguez, Jr., Greenhill & Co., Inc.
199. Christopher McLeod, Houston Wire & Cable Company
200. Cathy Pryor, Hibbett Sports, Inc.
201. Neil Katchen, Darling International, Inc.
202. Martin Griffin, Darling International, Inc.
203. Elaine Woodland, First Keystone Corporation
204. Michael Relich, Guess?, Inc.
205. Steven Riggs, ICU Medical Inc.
206. Donald Luft, Trican Well Service Ltd.
207. Jeffrey Zwiefel, Life Time Fitness, Inc.
208. George Burns, Goldcorp Inc.
209. Mark Carota, DUSA Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
210. Scott Herzig, Five Star Quality Care, Inc.
211. Mark Esposito, Marlin Business Services Corp.
212. Carrie McDermott, DSW Inc.
213. Igor Gonzales, Barrick Gold Corporation
214. Lawrence Radford, Hecla Mining Company
215. David Rae, Dundee Precious Metals Inc.
216. Paul Skayman, Eldorado Gold Corporation
217. Glenn Fusfield, Steiner Leisure Limited
218. David Hartman, Glentel Inc.
219. Don Parsons, Imperial Metals Corporation
220. Peter MacPhail, AuRico Gold Inc.
221. Lyndol Dew, Diamond Offshore Drilling, Inc.
222. Ludovico Costa, Yamana Gold Inc.
223. Helga Ridenhour, Citizens and Farmers Bank
224. Manley Guarducci, Alamos Gold Inc.
225. Brian Reaves, Casual Male Retail Group Inc. (acquired by Destination XL Group)
226. Daniel Owiredu, Golden Star Resources Ltd.